On the banks of the Palatoa river in Manu National Park - Madre de Dios, it’s located the largest petroglyph of Peru, which was carved between 1000 and 2000 A.D. In 2003 It was recognized as an archaeological heritage by the National Institute of Culture of Peru.
The first description of the petroglyphs was made by the Dominican missionary Vicente de Cenitagoya in 1921. Dr. Carlos Neuenschwander from Arequipa, studied Pusharo site in 1969. Besides its gigantic size, takes our attention the engraving pictures. Many studious argued that such drawings would be related to the legendary kingdom of Paititi.
The italian researcher Yuri Leveratto indicates that it could be related to the Quiaca petroglyphs.
Most of the glyphs represent animal hunting, and even when they have not managed to successfully figure out the drawings, the closest interpretation would be the one that holds Reichel-Dolmatoff and Schultes & Hofmann: Petroglyphs are representations of the Amazonian mythological people performed by shamans, influenced by the use of hallucinogenic plants.
Not far from the petroglyphs, the recent discovery of giant figures carved on the eastern slope of a mountain, also may significantly change our knowledge of the Incas in this place and the theory of its influence in the Amazonian people, but it hasn’t been demonstrated yet.
By Arturo Alva.